Establishing a routine exercise schedule is daunting at any age. Physical exercise is exhausting. We would prefer not to expend the time. We’re feeling the pain from yesterday’s exercises. We’ve all made excuses like these for avoiding physical fitness; but frailty and advanced age make it even more daunting to stick to an exercise routine and maintain senior fitness.
Endeavor In-Home Care wants to help older individuals stay active with ideas to combat the following typical senior fitness obstacles:
- Self-confidence: It’s natural for older individuals to feel stressed with the thought of achieving exercise objectives. It can help to start the ball rolling slowly with exercises that are easy to master and progress slowly; and, encourage the senior with frequent encouragement.
- Attitude: Attitude is critical when it comes to exercising. If approached negatively, it will be much more challenging to stick to an effective exercise routine. Pick activities that will be pleasurable and that the senior will look forward to.
- Pain: The saying, “No pain, no gain” simply isn’t true. Older individuals should refrain from overdoing it, and cut back the level of intensity if being afflicted by pain or discomfort.
- Disabilities: Seniors with physical or cognitive restrictions can and should remain active according to their ability level. Seek the advice of the health care provider for a referral to a personal trainer or physical therapist who can come up with a program of specialized exercises.
- Fear of Injury/Balance Problems: There are a range of adaptive devices to permit safe, effective exercising while still improving senior fitness.
- Financial Concerns: It doesn’t have to cost a lot of money to be fit! Walking and other straightforward exercises in and around the residence, using typical household items, can be integrated into an exercise plan at little to no cost.
- Illness or Fatigue: Exercises can be tailored to match the older individual’s energy level, and he or she may gradually increase the endurance level in time.
Bear in mind that the key to ongoing positive results with an exercise regimen is to see that the older adult feels comfortable and safe with the strategy and the exercises. If irritation is felt in muscles or joints the day after exercising, a lesser intensity can be put in place; and check with the physician if the pain or discomfort persists.
Endeavor In-Home Care’s caregivers will work with your loved one’s health care provider to implement a safe exercise plan according to his or her abilities to increase strength, independence, and overall quality of life. Contact us at 480-498-2324 to learn more about the positive effects of daily exercise in improving senior fitness and to discover more about how our home care in Paradise Valley, AZ and the surrounding areas can help!