As Jane Austen once explained, “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.” And for anyone with a chronic disease, like multiple sclerosis (MS), comfort is essential, as is remaining safe. Our in-home care experts are here to help with managing multiple sclerosis at home.
If a loved one has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, the first step should be to seek out the assistance of a professional home care provider with experience in MS-related challenges, who can perform an in-home safety assessment and make the appropriate recommendations for modifications to the home so that it is a safe, comfortable sanctuary, rather than a dangerous place.
Multiple sclerosis can make getting around difficult, and because day-to-day tasks — including recreational activities — can lead to exhaustion more quickly in people with MS, making specific changes to the home environment can help conserve energy and increase independence.
Some examples include:
- Substitute thick carpeting with smooth, anti-slip flooring for easier mobility
- Place grab bars strategically throughout the bathroom
- Move furniture to widen pathways throughout the residence
- Incorporate items in the tub or shower such as a portable showerhead, a slip resistant bathmat, and a tub seat
- Consider a bed rail to assist with switching sleep positions
- Exchange knobs throughout the home with handles, which are easier to manage
Endeavor In-Home Care can provide home alteration suggestions and help in scheduling customizations to ensure your loved one’s home is a more convenient place for independence. Some of the many other ways we can help enhance quality of life for those with multiple sclerosis include:
- Planning and preparing healthy, delicious meals
- Light housework and laundry
- Assistance with personal care needs, such as showering, dressing, and using the restroom
- Accompanied transportation to medical appointments, procedures, and enjoyable outings
- Running errands, such as picking up prescriptions and grocery shopping
- Offering warm companionship to engage in exercise programs, conversations, fun activities, and favorite pastimes
- Medication reminders so meds are taken exactly as prescribed
- Help with safe ambulation for fall prevention
- And many others, according to each person’s particular needs
To discover more about our Chandler respite care and our services throughout the surrounding areas, contact us online or give us a call at (480) 498-2324. Our in-home care from expert caregivers can help those with MS remain in the comfort of home, while enjoying life to the fullest each day.